Re: [OPE-L] That hissing? It's the sound of bubblenomics deflating

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2007 - 04:59:31 EDT

I agree that the information structures that constitute fiancial records
have social power, but  any complex system of social relations has to be
embodied in data structures. Think of land ownership. It is nothing
without either boundary stones or a land registry. Thus social relations
are codified in and depend upon data structures.

But I think you are comparing apples to oranges when you try to
aggregate financial records with real capital, for several reasons:

1. In commodity exchange a conservation law holds, the sum of embodied
labour/value does not rise in exchanges.
2. In financial transactions a conservation law still applies but it is
a slightly different one. The conservation law here is that the net
asset/liability position does not change when a debt is created,
however, the sum of absolute values involved does rise ( ie the L1 norm
) changes. This is at the hart of the ability of the financial system to
create new money.
3. There is a also a simple violation of conservative exchange in the
form of interest payments.

The stock of real capital can only be increased by labour being expended
and embodied in a material product, the L1 norm of financial assets can
be increased by a simple information processing operation. The labour
required to process a new loan of 100,000 euro is the same as required
to process a loan of 200,000 euro, there is thus no relationship between
the labour required to process the information and the magnitude of the
financial transaction. This is the basic reason why the L1 norm can rise
so much relative to real capital.

I am not sure what you mean when you say " As I see it, the modern
"problem" of economic growth is NOT the lack of investment capital, but
a SUPER-ABUNDANCE of capital, often owned by people who, globally
speaking, do not use much of it to invest in real production that
creates additional jobs or expands that production. "

What do you mean by 'capital' in this sense.