Re: [OPE-L] That hissing? It's the sound of bubblenomics deflating (reformatted)

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Thu Oct 04 2007 - 08:29:48 EDT

I had a hard time reading Paul C's reply to Jurriaan so I reformmated
it below so that it's clearer to follow who wrote what.
In solidarity, Jerry

Jurrian wrote:
> I did not "aggregate" the value of the stock of US physical assets with
> the stock of US tradeable financial assets, rather I struck a ratio
> between the estimates I had, to give a rough indication of magnitude. I
> would say from the data I have looked at that the value of the stock of
> financial assets in the US would be larger than the value of the stock
> of physical assets. About half of Americans however own negligible
> financial assets.
===========
Paul C replied:

===========

Jurriaan wrote:
> First you argued financial assets are "not values but information
> structures, sequences of records held on the hard disks of the banking
> system". Then you argue "social relations are codified in and depend
> upon data structures." But these claims are not the same. I am not sure
> what to make of this.
===========
Paul C replied:

===========
Jurriaan wrote:
> I do not agree that "In commodity exchange a conservation law holds, the
> sum of embodied labour/value does not rise in exchanges" as stated.
> Because this law, if true, would hold only for the exchanges involved in
> the production of the gross output (Marx's definition of gross output or
> "value of production" differs significantly from the conventional
> measure, as I mentioned). It would presumably mean that no net additions
> to the new value created can result from the exchange of newly produced
> commodities only, or, that exchanges or products can only redistribute
> values, not add to them. This idea is strongly contested by bankers,
> e.g. because without operating certain transactions the product-value
> would not exist at all etc.
>
> Yet assets are being devalued and revalued all the time, whether they
> are being traded or not. The conservation law would then presumably
> state that for every devaluation of some of the new commodity output
> there must be an equal revaluation of some other component of the new
> commodity output (?).
>
> However, at least one aspect is that the exchanges of total inputs and
> total outputs in the sphere of production are not all the exchanges
> there are. External to that sphere, a large trading process occurs as
> well. When Marx referred to values, he referred only to components of
> the gross output on his definition, not to total trade volume.
>
> One could depict unequal exchange in the trade in products as being only
> a redistribution of values between different owners.
===========
Paul replied:

===========
Jurriaan wrote:
> When new debt is incurred, then in a conventional balance sheet it will
> obviously appear on both sides of the ledger, i.e. for every asset there
> is a liability, that's clear. I am not sure though what you mean by the
> L1 norm in this case - this seems to refer to a mathematical technique
> to discover a function/vector that will most closely describe/fit a data
> set (?).

==========
Paul replied:

===========
Jurriaan wrote:
> I do not know what you mean by "real capital", I assume you mean
> tangible physical assets or productive capital (?).
===========
Paul replied:

===========

Jurriaan wrote:
> In Cap. 2, Marx distinguished broadly between commodity capital, money
> capital, and production capital. Financial assets would presumably be a
> component of money capital. He also refers to "fictitious capital" or
> "fictitious commodities" though he fails to specify exactly what he
> means by that, it could be thought of as a capitalisation on property
> ownership. In Marx's analysis, capital can, assuming a developed credit
> and capital market, flexibly transit from one form of capital to
> another. Thus, if for some reason production becomes a more risky or
> less profitable avenue for accumulation, capital exits from the sphere
> of production to the sphere of circulation. It does not cease to
> accumulate, but the mode of accumulation changes, i.e. instead of
> M-C...P...C'-M' the circuit becomes M-M', M-C-M', C-M-C', C-C'
> (=countertrade) and so on.
===========
Paul replied:

===========

Jurriaan wrote:
> Marx's knowledge of the role of capital finance in the historical
> origins and development of capitalism was rather sketchy, and he did not
> live to work out the ideas he presents in Cap. Vol. 3 in more detail. So
> there is a lot more work to be done in that area, to make sense of
> historical and current realities in terms of the approach he favoured.

Paul replied: