Re: [OPE-L] Anthropologists are replacing economists as the hired prize-fighters for capital

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Sun Oct 07 2007 - 08:57:54 EDT

> Well, if it means that they kill fewer people, or kill fewer people for
> the wrong reasons, I think it's a good thing.

Hi Jurriaan:

I'm sure that those anthropologists offer that, in part, as a
*rationalization* for their collaboration with the US military.
I can see how from a mainstream social science (whether
conservative or liberal) and nationalist perspective it makes
sense to assist the military: it depends on your perspective on
the state (the US state, in particular), the war, and imperialism.
But, I don't believe that their presence will result in less people
being killed.  On the contrary, their presence helps support the
occupation and therefore the reproduction of death. I would hope that
we could all agree that progressives, Marxists included, should not
directly or indirectly support the occupation (or receive financial
compensation for that support).

In nsolidarity, Jerry