Re: [OPE-L] The Raya Dunayevskaya Series on Marxism and Humanism

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Sun Oct 14 2007 - 09:22:19 EDT

I was asked off-list for an explanation of
<http://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/~cottrell/ope/archive/0709/0224.html>.
In particular, I was asked for an explanation of how it was that I
came to the conclusion that the 3 editors of this series were all
members of the News and Letters Committees group.  There was the
suggestion that I had somehow revealed information that wasn't public
-- despite the fact that I had explicitly indicated in the post that
this was _already_ public information. I am happy to take this
opportunity to set the record straight.

1. I learned that Olga Domanski and Peter Hudis were members through the
following article:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_and_Letters_Committees>.

Note the last sentence of the last pragraph.  Note also that the source of
this entry is a member of the News and Letters Committees so one can only
assume that _he_ wished to make this information public.  To find out who
made this information public, click at the top of the page on "History"
and see the August 9 (20:36) edit by (yes, you guessed it) Andrew Kliman.
So, if there is anyone who thinks that it was not proper to publicly
identify these  two individuals as N&L members then you should take up the
matter with Andrew Kliman.

2.  Having read the above, out of curiosity I did a google search on Kevin
Anderson.  If you do that yourself, you will see that there are a number
of "Youtube" videos of Anderson in which he is identified as:
"(News and Letters/Marxist Humanists)".

Of course, there is nothing wrong with N&L having their own book series.
It does, however, provide context for how it came to be that Kliman's book
was published.  That was the point of my post.

Given the content of the book -- which is simply a repetition of points he
made elsewhere over the years in published articles -- it is not
surprising that others would question the decision to publish. This is
especially true  since his original articles have been widely critisized
over the years and there are only a small handfull of TSS supporters who
accept its conclusions.

In solidarity, Jerry