Re: [OPE-L] Incoherence of the TSSI - consensus?

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2007 - 16:57:05 EDT

> Quoting Rakesh Bhandari <bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU>:
>
>> [Since most of my own work is about how
>>> capitalism actually works, engaging with the TSSI is singularly
frustrating.]
>> Simon,
>> I think this underestimates the importance of not only your theoretical
work (entries to Dictionary of Marxist thought, provocative and often
profound piece on money), it also understimates the importance of  the
empirical work of Freeman (contribution to quantitative marxism,
critique
>> of Brenner, general empirical overview work) and Carchedi (two books,
several articles).
>> I do think however that both you and TSSI may have missed the
importance
>> of the philosophical work of Ilyenkov...
>

> Hi Rakesh, welcome back to the list.

And thank to the two people on the AC for efforts on my behalf while I was
alone
suspended for three months for responding to flames. As you and Allin
know, I have been disallowed from even making a public statement of
opposition to the grounds given for my exclusive suspension. If I simply
say why I thought it was unfair to suspend me for what
were in fact flames, I have been told that I shall be suspended if not
expelled from the list.

 I of course can't say who the AC supporters were.

> What do you think was the importance of Ilyenkov?

to understand Marx's theory of the value form in terms of both the
mutually assuming
and mutually exclusive relation between the relative and equivalent form;
to make
Marx''s critique of classical political economy  hinge as Marx himself
intended
on its effacement of the contradiction immanent to the commodity as expressed
in the mutually assuming/mutually exclusive value form.

to understand price of production as the resolution of a real
contradiction between the law of value and the law of profit

Of course both points depends on Ilyenkov's difficult reconsideration of
abtraction and contradiction.

I elaborated these points on lbo-talk where I participated in sharp,
productive and illuminating exchanges.

I was happy to have found new interlocutors.

Rakesh

> Comradely,
> Fred

message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.