Re: [OPE-L] class theory

From: Ian Wright (wrighti@ACM.ORG)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2007 - 18:44:12 EDT

> It's sort of like a "Do you beat your spouse?" question.  Once you say that
> someone's perspective is petit-bougeois then the other person is going to
> either cease conversing with you or throw back something similar in your
> face (e..g. "My perspective isn't petit-bourgeois, yours is!").  Either way it
> effectively closes off the possibility of meaningful dialogue and just (perhaps
> unintentionally) ratchets up the rhetoric.

You are repeating yourself. But I have no evidence that people will
respond in the way you describe, and would not expect them to. There
is no reason why a statement regarding the class content of a social
theory should cause any more consternation than any other kind of
critique. It can be argued and refuted in the normal manner.