Re: [OPE-L] Marx on the general rate of profit/rate of interest: a translation error

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 12:59:18 EDT

Paul,

But if credit is withdrawn in one branch as a whole, won't it then be
extended to another?

So when you write

>This effect is much faster acting than the movement
>of capital to branches of higher return.

Aren't they one and the same movement?

>Thus the
>mechanism bringing prices into line with values can
>be expected to be correspondingly strong.

That it may be stronger does not mean that it is not in objective contradiction
with the tendency towards an equalized profit rate.

Marx attempted to conceptualize the real contradictions of which
social forms are
resolutions.

He writes in a passage on which there should be pedagogical focus:
"We saw in a former chapter that the exchange of commodities implies
contradictory and mutually exclusive conditions. The differentiation
of commodities into commodities and money does not sweep away these
inconsistencies, but develops a modus vivendi, a form in which they
can exist side by side. This is generally the way in which real
contradictions are reconciled. For instance, it is a contradiction to
depict one body as constantly falling towards another, and as, at the
same time, constantly flying away from it. The ellipse is a form of
motion which, while allowing this contradiction to go on, at the same
time reconciles it."

So what Marx is saying about price of production could be summarized
thusly: "We have seen that the supply price of commodities is
influenced by contradictory and mutually exclusive conditions, the
law of value and the law of profit. The resultant modification of the
law of value into price of production does not sweep away these
inconsistencies, but develops a modus vivendi, a form in which they
can exist side by side."

When Bohm Bawerk accuses Marx of logical contradiction and Samuelson
says that prices of production for all practical purposes erases
value, they are both admitting that they cannot understand social
forms as the (temporary) reconciliation of real social contradictions.

Rakesh