Re: [OPE-L] Marx on the general rate of profit/rate of interest: a translation error

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 16:25:22 EDT

Ajit;

I am not assuming that all simple commodity producers are at the
subsitence
Minimum. I assume transaction prices are a random variable normally
distributed
With respect to labour content. What I am saying is that under any mode
of
Commodity production only a small part of the left tail of the
distribution
Can fall below what in capitalist terms would be c+v. In scp this would
be
The sum of labour content of raw materials + subistence minimum. What
this
Implies is that most producers under scp are above the subsistence
minimum,
And that only a small tail can be below it.

On speed of reaction, yes, it will be much slower under scp because
under those
Social Conditions the forces of production change only slowly, and a
slow adaptation -
Including perhaps only inter-generational changes in occupation, will be
sufficient
To enforce the law of value.

For capitalism the relevant half life is not that of peasant or
artisanal households,
But the half life of firms. These can at times be quite short.