Re: [OPE-L] Marx on the general rate of profit/rate of interest: a translation error

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2007 - 11:15:51 EDT

The first point is that the empirical evidence collated for some 28
countries
By Dave Z indicates that the tendancy, if it occurs, only occurs in a
few
Capitalist economies, not in all of them.

As to why, one can think of several reasons:
1. Physical capital is not easily mobile. The Channel Tunnel for example
earns a very low
Rate of profit, but EuroTunnel can not readily convert the invested
labour embodied in tunnels and train lines into , for example,
restaurants even if the latter are more profitable.

2. If a sector is earning a higher rate of return per worker than the
average, then the relative position of labour vis a vis capital in that
sector improves, and workers are able to win higher wages. This tends to
frustrate a tendancy for high organic composition industries to earn
higher profit per worker.

3. If the composition of demand is constantly changing, sectors with
high capital to labour ratios will find it harder to shift output than
those with low capital to labour ratios. This will again impede
profitability in high organic composition sectors. It is easier for the
toy car industry to adjust the models it makes in response to achange in
fashion than it is for the car industry for example.