Re: [OPE-L] book review of Kliman's book

From: Ian Hunt (ian.hunt@FLINDERS.EDU.AU)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2007 - 18:17:40 EST

I think Anders is confusing 2 issues: that of scarcity and that of
exploitation of labour. In an automated world, there is no
explpoitation of labour and no labour cost. Values do not regulate
prices if there is an exchange economy and scarcity. If there is no
scarcity, then Anders is right: there are no prices. If there is
scarcity, however, and private property (why there should be private
property in such circumstances is not clear, since ownership of
particularly scarce resources will give their private owners windfall
gains that society might not accept) there will be incomes but not
capitalist incomes. It will be a simple commodity producing society
without labour cost (this does require no 'picking' cost, as Anders
points out and may be a bit of science fiction)). Distribution will
be per capita with reproducible goods but for scarce resources there
will be rents. A neo-classical consumption model would work here (but
again, why there should be private property and differential
ownership of scarce respources is hard to understand)
Cheers,
Ian

--
Associate Professor Ian Hunt,
Dept  of Philosophy, School of Humanities,