Re: [OPE-L] Notification (2 of 2)

From: GERALD LEVY (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2007 - 08:23:28 EST

> I think any major decision such as suspension should be made by the list rather than by an individual person or AC.

Dogan:

I'll let Allin and Alejandro know of your suggestion.

(NB: there have been very extensive off-list discussions
recently - by a so-called "ad hoc group" -  and I summarized
all of the other suggestions that other members made for the
benefit and consideration of the AC.)

I am not opposed to such a procedure on principled grounds,
of course.  But,  I wish you had given some thought to some
practical issues such as:

1) having a discussion and vote of the entire list on such
a question would, most probably, not be in the best interests
of the person we would consider taking disciplinary action
against.  Thus, when this option was offered in the past to
an individual, it was refused.

2) having a discussion and a vote of the entire list would
annoy and/or anger those on the list who want to discuss
political economy rather than have extended procedural
discussions.  Indeed,  it might lead to the withdrawal of
some subscribers from the list for just that reason.

3) it would take time and effort to organize (time perhaps
better spent on discussing political economy), time by all
members to participate (even reading the posts would
take time) and would almost certainly be divisive.

Nevertheless, if other options fail  and if you accept
that Howard's lack of optimism is legitimate, it may come to
a point where we have such a referendum -- perhaps followed
by even more drastic action by whomever the minority is.

In solidarity, Jerry