Re: [OPE-L] fully automated economy and capitalism

From: GERALD LEVY (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2007 - 07:21:55 EST

> There is dispute about whether there can be real cases of movement under> gravity on inclined plane without friction. Certainly, there can be> cases where there is no air friction (as in a vacuum) but whether there> can be cases of absolutely zero friction between the object and the> plane it slides on is another matter (perhaps with supercooled objects).> But even so, it is wrong to say that it has absolutely nothing to do> with or is completely removed from reality. One can infer, for example,> that the acceleration in the frictionless case is an upper bound of the> acceleration in the real case,

Hi Ian:

I am suspicious of analogies to physics: different disciplines
(in this case, political economy and physics) require different
methodologies.  This is not to say that there aren't connections
between the real subject matters of capitalism and material
properties which laws of physics seek to explain.  Of course,
there are. But, the methodology appropriate for comprehending
one subject can not be assumed to apply for comprehending
the other.

In solidarity, Jerry