Re: [OPE-L] empirical measurement of changes in the value of labour-power

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@KTH.SE)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2007 - 13:41:32 EST

Hi Jerry,

You write:
> If we follow your alternative, then surplus value can increase for no
> other reason than capitalists increase the prices
> of commodities sold to workers.

Yes, that is precisely my point. It means that the capitalists are
capable of effectively reducing the real wage of the workers. All other
things being equal, the workers' standard of living has fallen and
capitalists have received greater profits and can enjoy a greater
standard of living: The division of the net product has changed and
correspondingly the division of the total social labour time.

Why don't you think so? Where do you disagree? I think any meaningful
analysis must conclude that the rate of exploitation has risen in this
example.

A note regarding Paul C's post: I have always read Marx's "value" as
"labour-value" and "socially necessary labour time" as "social labour
time necessary [to reproduce something]". They may be subtle differences
but they are more precise and lead to less theoretical confusions.

//Dave Z