Re: [OPE-L] empirical measurement of changes in the value of labour-power

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@KTH.SE)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2007 - 16:15:40 EST

You write:
> One could think of this as a 'rent' paid by workers to a segment of the
> capitalist class or landowners because of their monopoly power.

I think the alternative explanation is deficient because it adds "rents"
where it is not needed.

> Indeed, it could well be that the reduction in real wages
> occasioned by the increase in food prices leads over time to
> intensified class
> struggle by workers as they seek to preserve their standard of
> living.

Yes of course, but we agreed to keep "all other things equal" for the
moment in order to analyse the immediate impact of a rise of prices of
the items that the workers consume alone.

Let me ask you a slightly different question then: Suppose only the
nominal wages fall instead, all other things equal. Has the rate of
exploitation risen now? Surely by your definition the VLP has not changed.

> The "something" is commodities: this is an important distinction.

I simply disagree. Labour-value is applicable to any good or service
produced with social labour, not merely when they assume the form of
commodities. It is an objective social cost.

//Dave Z