Re: [OPE-L] empirical measurement of changes in the value of labour-power

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@KTH.SE)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2007 - 09:10:46 EST

Hi Jerry,

Your wrote:
> If wages go down, then V goes down as well.  Other things being
> equal, the same quantity of V will result in a greater quantity of S.
> So, yes, the rate of surplus value will have risen.
>
> > Surely by your definition the VLP has not changed.
>
> The definition I am using does not require the VLP to change.

Fine, I understand your point. Your VLP has to be used in some sort of
long-run analysis of the working population. I make a similar, but more
general claim by "the total amount of labour necessary to reproduce the
capacity to work".

However, I don't think neither concept is very meaningful in the shorter
term analysis of the division of net product and of the total social
labour time, or the rate of exploitation. In that analysis one has to
look at the labour-value of the real wage.

//Dave Z