Re: [OPE-L] A memorable quote...

From: Patrick Bond (pbond@MAIL.NGO.ZA)
Date: Thu Dec 27 2007 - 17:55:51 EST

Jurriaan Bendien wrote:
> "A decline in the real rate of return on capital does not make
> investors worse off or weaken the incentive to invest if the real cost
> of capital declines proportionally."

Has the world economy not experienced:

a) declining rates of profit in the value-producing sectors especially
in the major Western and Japanese economies?
b) a 28-year period of relatively high cost of capital, in
world-historic terms?
c) very high rates of profit in the financial/commercial circuits of
capital, which have benefited the increasingly diversified Western
multinational corporation?

That's the sense I have from as much marxist empirical material as I can
find.

Cheers,
Patrick