Re: [OPE-L] accumulation of capital and the working class

From: GERALD LEVY (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2008 - 09:41:53 EST

> I don't distinguish between two types of 'accumulation of capital', but> rather only one centered around an increase of the proletariat. I am not> interested in a concept involving c/v increasing conditional upon v> constant. If we want to discuss c/v changing, then we discuss it. The> deeper point is to have 'accumulation of capital' have a content which> focuses upon the working class. This is more substantive than using> 'accumulation of capital' thrown all over as a sort of high-sounding phrase> pretty much meaning 'capitalism'.

Hi Paul Z:

A question which focuses on the working class:

One can envision a (real) possibility where the size of V
goes _down_ even as the size of C increases (and the
total magnitude of C+V increases) where the size of the
working class does _not_ go down. Have you considered
this possibility?

The above question arises, in  part (but only in part),
because of the different temporal dimensions in which
there is accumulation of capital.  I.e. it can be seen as both
a long-term historical process (which is your focus, I gather)
and a relatively short-term process. In that short-term
one can envision possibilities (including de-accumulation,
as you know) that you wouldn't expect if you focused only
on the long-term historical process.

In solidarity, Jerry