Re: [OPE-L] glossary for V1 of _Capital

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2008 - 10:45:49 EST

I think it is confusing to identify the phrase accumulation of capital
with
Just the expansion of capitalist social relations of production, which
is what Paul Zs definition does.
It means that one can not properly label what KM called the 'over
accumulation of capital', where the mass of capital increases but the
mass of surplus value does not. In my view there is a real contradiction
here, in that the accumulation of capital follows an exponential law if
a fixed percentage of surplus value is reinvested. This exponential
growth is sustainable so long as capitalist social relations also expand
exponentially. When however the reserve armies of labour are exhausted,
the   accumulation of capital becomes over accumulation and can no
longer follow an exponential law, instead of the capital stock growing
exponentially it grows linearly, with the concomitant of a declining
rate of profit.

If you say that there is no accumulation of capital in the latter case,
what then are we to call the stock of means of production that
accumulates, if it is not an accumulation of capital what is it?