[OPE-L] Relations: Leibniz, Descartes or Codd

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2008 - 17:50:32 EST

Dogan wrote
--------------
If you are arguing against Marx's conception of capital please make it explicit so we know how to
approach your claims. Methodologically, relational approach goes back to Leibniz, Smith, Hegel and Marx - not to Descartes.

Paul
----
I suspect that Dave Zachariahs use of the term relation to mean a cartesian product
set derives from Codd rather than directly  Descartes. He popularised this view with his work
on the relational algebra in 1969.

Codds work was in what might appear an abstruse branch of formal logic, but thanks to
the devoloment of digital storage technology it was quickly put into use by capitalist
industry and his maths now provides the underlying logic on which the entire banking
system of capitalism rests.