Re: [OPE-L] productive and unproductive labour and forms of surplus value

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@KTH.SE)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2008 - 15:48:34 EST

on 2008-01-17 21:14 GERALD LEVY wrote:
> No.  You are assuming away the issue.  Just like Deptartments I
> and II, Department III requires C + V for production and reproduction.

Yes, therefore production and reproduction of Dept. III cannot exist
without the S created in Depts. I and II.

> The S produced in _any_ of the 3 Departments can be invested in the
> reproduction  of commodities in _any_ of the 3 departments.

This cannot be correct. S can be reinvested in additional means of
production (Dept. I) or spent on unproductive activities (Dept. III),
but not in wage goods (Dept. II).

> For Department III to have the effect you assert, there can't be
> V invested in that department and the S produced in Department
> III can't be used for investment in Departments I and II.

The S produced in Dept. III can't be used to invest in wage goods. For V
in Dept. III, the same remark as above applies.

The existence of Dept. III depends on the surplus labour performed by
workers in Depts. I and II. Its output does not directly or indirectly
enter the real-wage of the working class.

//Dave Z