Re: [OPE-L] Lapavitsas on the financial crisis

From: Costas Lapavitsas (cl5@SOAS.AC.UK)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2008 - 11:56:55 EST

It seems to me that the USA will find very hard to avoid a recession as the
savings ratio rises to something less ludicrous than what has prevailed
during the last few years. The falling dollar is not enough to offset this.
The problems of the banks will compound the difficulties by constraining
credit. The Fed can, of course, cut interest rates, as Bernanke did today.
But I doubt that this would have much of an effect considering the levels of
individual indebtedness.

More broadly, I believe that this is shaping up to be a major event, a
regime break that sets terms for the following years.

Costas