Re: [OPE-L] FW: Economic Calculation

From: Jerry Levy (jerry_levy@VERIZON.NET)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2008 - 16:07:27 EST

> I.Do you know any answer (at least a beginning of, even bad ) to > the best (? !) and last (? !) challenge / criticism of Ian
> Steedman : "... no theory - explanatory or normative - that works
> only for a closed economy is worthy the paper it is written down
> on ",

Hi Paul C:

Putting aside for the moment the specific criticisms of Marx
and Marxians which Steedman made in his paper, this general
point is valid.  Hence, the only worthy answer is that he's
right -- on this general point, at least.  The best way to
respond to the criticism is by presenting a theory based on
Marx's theory of value for international trade and the world
market which addresses his critique.

In solidarity, Jerry