Re: [OPE-L] Labour theory of value and trade

From: Jerry Levy (jerry_levy@VERIZON.NET)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 09:00:44 EST

> But the United States and the current economic
> integration of the European Union points to how this process can
> be completed.

Hi Dave Z:

The trend, I think, is towards the formation of regional trade associations (customs unions) - like the EU.  Rather than
eliminating nation states, this is simply a different form
in which inter-capitalist rivalry takes place. Nation states
do not disappear in these economic alliances; on the contrary,
the creation and perpetuation of these associations can not take
place without agreement by individual nation states. The formation of blocs of huge capital in opposition to one another and mediated by state alliances is as far as the process will go.  A single integrated world economy/government is a fantasy which ignores the realities of different histories of class struggle and culture in different nations and regions of the world.  Rivalry and competition among capitalists can never be completely eliminated (unless/until capitalism is surpassed, of course).

In solidarity, Jerry