Re: [OPE-L] "Levels of abstraction"

From: GERALD LEVY (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 09:21:15 EST

Dave:

The whole dispute, to seems to me, revolves around the issue
of whether one accepts that the productive/unproductive
distinction has basically the same meaning in all class societies
or whether it is specific to capitalism.  You claim that there is
a trans-historical sense to the distinction which can be applied
to comprehending what is productive of surplus value under
capitalism. If one doesn't accept that claim (which I don't) then
it's hard to see how we could agree on these questions.

What you call the 'historical materialist' approach may well
help us to comprehend the character of non-capitalist societies.
If comprehending the character and dynamic tendencies of
capitalism was that simple, though,  then one wouldn't need to utilize
the power of abstraction to disentangle what appears to be the
case from what it actually the case under capitalism.

In solidarity, Jerry