Re: [OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] RGASPI Russian archive

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@KTH.SE)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 16:19:59 EST

Hi Martin,

I agree, labeling your opponent in a debate is counterproductive. I
wrote this related post not long ago:

    http://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/~cottrell/OPE/archive/0710/0249.html

My labeling of "bourgeois" in the context of SSE is not directly related
to the issue of "pluralism" or "monolithic ideas". Surely, there can be
a plethora of economic theories formed in bourgeois ideology.

One note on your comment though:
> I think students accept many of the things they are taught because
> they feel it is "common sense" stuff, that conforms with everyday
> experience and their intellect. (By the way one of the corner stones
> in the Scottish englightenment).

While I agree with the general point, I think one has to realize that
what is considered "common sense" about social affairs is an expression
of ideology.

E.g. take the notion of a 'Swede', it is "common sense" that there are
and has to be 'nations' and that they must each have their own state.
Well, it is common sense to any subject of a nationalist ideology. Or
take a group of students aspiring to become CEO:s or financial analysts,
to them it is common sense that the stock market is beneficial to a
society. If a teacher tells them so, well that just affirms the ideology
that they  subscribe to already.

//Dave Z