Re: [OPE] devaluation and revaluation of variable capital

From: Alejandro Agafonow (alejandro_agafonow@yahoo.es)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 12:23:10 EST

Thanks for the reference! Jerry.

Paul, my argument against Ian is in “[1] Marxian equilibrium & reply to Wright”. The textual evidence that I sent in “[2] Marxian equilibrium & reply to Wright”, only tries to give an answer to the Wright’s assertion that «[…] it is not possible that the "market mechanism depreciates [the] labour content" of a commodity.»

However, if my reading were right this could be a crack in labour value theory as far as labour at the same time appears as being assed by preferences and not as the primary source of value, isolated from what consumers think. And I think that Marxists have overlooked this possible crack because of the importance they attach to that alleged equilibrium point in the long run.

I think that there is a connection between commodities’ labour devaluation below their value when appears overproduction or when commodities fail in the provision of utility, and the usage Marx made of natural price or production price in Capital. Owning to the fact that prices fluctuation and production accidents produce economic surpluses, natural price could not be reached but in the long run, when more efficient production methods discovered by few entrepreneurs allegedly end to be generalized. The research programme proposed by Marx focus on the natural price or production price:

«If demand and supply balance, the oscillation of prices ceases, all other conditions remaining the same. But then demand and supply also cease to explain anything. The price of labour, at the moment when demand and supply are in equilibrium, is its natural price, determined independently of the relation of demand and supply. And how this price is determined is just the question.» (Capital, Vol. I, Marxist Internet Archive).

But before reaching this Marxian equilibrium that is the only time when labour content matches prices, labour theory has to offer a logical criterion to evaluate that suboptimal production state. The logical candidate is the useful effect that owing to capitalistic disequilibrium doesn’t reach an identity with labour time putted in their production. That is, labour that allegedly is the source of value suddenly appears harmed by market failures that impeded useful effect to hit the target: the consumer.

But I have to think more about this and I promise a paper dealing with the problem (hopefully in English).

Kind regards,
Alejandro Agafonow