Re: [OPE] [1] Marxian equilibrium & reply to Wright.

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@kth.se)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2008 - 14:20:55 EST

Hi Alejandro,

I think there is a misunderstanding here. When I said that "prices tend
to be proportional to labour values" I was using a simplified language.
"Tend" refers here to "tendency". In a more precise language I meant the
following:

    The variance of the distribution of price-to-labour value ratios of
    all transactions during a fixed period in an economy is bounded and
    sufficiently low that there is a strong correlation between market
    price and labour value.

It does *not* mean in any way that price *is* proportional to labour
value. Now if this statistical law holds over time -- and there is
empirical evidence for this -- then one can claim that labour value is
an attractor to market price, or what the classical economists would
call a "center of gravity".

During a given period a single commodity-type has a fixed or slowly
varying labour value but a multitude of market prices varying for
different transactions all over the economy in time and space. Therefore
it would be nonsensical to say that "labour values spin around market
prices".

In sum, the theory gives a mechanism for the redistribution of social
labour precisely because market prices deviate from the "equilbrium
prices" determined by labour values. It gives an explanation to Adam
Smith's "invisible hand".

I believe you are wrong to say that mechanisms need an overall goal or
purpose. The theory evolution is the perfect example of this. Given (a)
the immediate and local need for firms to meet their wage-bills in (b)
an integrated economy, the law of value emerges as a statistical
phenomenon with no goal or purpose.

//Dave Z