[OPE] Alexander Cockburn on carbon catastrophism

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@tiscali.nl)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2008 - 18:04:10 EST

For reasons I find very hard to fathom, the environmental left movement has bought very heavily into the fantasy about anthropogenic global warming and the fantasy that humans can prevent or turn back the warming cycle. This turn to climate catastrophism is tied into the decline of the left, and the decline of the left's optimistic vision of altering the economic nature of things through a political programme. The left has bought into environmental catastrophism because it thinks that if it can persuade the world that there is indeed a catastrophe, then somehow the emergency response will lead to positive developments in terms of social and environmental justice. This is a fantasy. In truth, environmental catastrophism will, in fact it already has, play into the hands of sinister-as-always corporate interests.

Complete article http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php?/site/reviewofbooks_article/4357/

I think that what it is really about is that smoking and farting are not permitted in polite society, and that if you didn't worry and fret about something, you would appear not to be seriously engaged with anything bigger than yourself. Also, it has to do with thrift. If workers are happy to make do with less to save the planet, employers save money in labour costs.

Jurriaan