Re: [OPE] Theory of trade, the world market and the state

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@kth.se)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2008 - 19:34:12 EST

Jerry wrote:
> I would say that
> just all that has been written by Marxians on the subjects of the
> state, trade, and
> the world market have been merely suggestive or empirical: _at best_,
> mere parts
> to a much larger puzzle. I guess only Marxians would be content with _less
> than_ 1/6 of a theory (_less than_ 1/6 because what was later published as
> Volumes 2 and 3 of Book I were fragmentary drafts.)

While I agree that there is much work left to be done on these topics I
disagree with the emphasis that you put on Marx's writings.

I think modern Marxists ought to learn from how Darwinists treated
Darwin and his published works and how they adopted new sophisticated
tools to advance. Otherwise Marxism, as a body of thought, is depleted
of its scientific content and reduced to a fixed doctrine as Jurriaan said.

//Dave Z