RE: [OPE] Northern Rock

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2008 - 19:05:43 EST

I was not aware that they had specifically sold on the mortgages as bonds, but they obviously, like any bank had liabilities balancing nearly all their loans.  How much of the existing guarantee provided by the treasury covers the Northern Rock's liabilities to Granite, and how much is in the form of a guarantee to other creditors. As I understand it the guarantee to depositors amounts to around £17M so the £55M guarantee must go well beyond the depositors.

It seems misleading to call bond liabilities their Mortgage Book, since that would normally be counted as the assets of a building society.