Re: [OPE] Studying unproductive labor: CEPR report

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@kth.se)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2008 - 09:50:54 EST

Hi Jerry,

I don't agree with their analysis, but I think it is interesting that
they reach a similar conclusion. In the short run military spending
raises demand. But it drains investment in the productive sectors,
reducing the growth of productive capacity of the economy which
determines the long-run development of output and the material living
standard. Moreover, increased arms spending means that more surplus
labour must be pumped out of the workers in the rest of the economy.

//Dave Z