Re: SV: [OPE] Studying unproductive labor: CEPR report

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@kth.se)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2008 - 05:13:45 EST

While military spinoffs can have a positive effect on productivity and
output I think there can be little doubt that had the military budget
been spent in civilian R&D instead the effects would have direct and
greater.

The unproductive use of resources surely had an impact on long-term
performance of the Soviet economy. If the resources were directed toward
improvements of productivity, consumer goods and the implementation of
more sophisticated planning techniques, the stagnation of the economy
could perhaps have been avoided.

//Dave Z