RE: [OPE] one of the great inventions of the 20th century?

From: GERALD LEVY (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Fri Feb 29 2008 - 18:17:38 EST

It is ironic that at a time when we were just discussing some of
the major technological changes of the 20th Century, we are
made aware of the following:
<http://www.bea.gov/scb/pdf/beawide/2000/0100od.pdf>

A bit self-serving, isn't it, for the BEA to claim that GDP is one
of the great "inventions" of the last century?  Any objective
ranking, I think, would have GDP listed _way_ down the list
of significant XXth century "inventions" - if, indeed, it was
listed at all.

> . Schumpeter's story about innovation is a powerful and suggestive metaphor, but empirically it isn't all that sound. Christopher Freeman's
> research is probably a much better guide.

I think that's a good point, Jurriaan.