[OPE] Recent serious theoretical discussions: reply to Dogan

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@tiscali.nl)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2008 - 16:04:51 EDT

Frankly, I still don't get it - why should the academics be able to discourse philosophically on whether diabolics is a pre-scientific category or a scientific category, while a worker like me is barred from discussing the dialectical contradictions of the economic crisis with Jerry? There's stuff to discuss before we understand the totality.

It's not nonsense, it's serious, and I had the NYT, Paul Krugman and Zbigniew Brzezinski in WP ("The smart way out of a foolish war") mostly on my side on this today. Of course, by the time the newspaper starts to agree with you, you must be doing it wrong. Or maybe, if they started writing about the sea waves, the palm fronds etc. I'd be doing it good for once. Whatever. You don't win anyway, it's others who win, just as in the lottery.

Note though it was Zbigniew who said not only that "Marxism represents a further vital, and creative stage in the maturing of man's universal vision. Marxism is simultaneously a victory of the external, active man over the inner, passive man, and a victory of reason over belief..." (Between Two Ages: America's Role in the Technetronic Era) but also that "Sovereignity is a concept, but it's a relative concept. If there was a provisional government of Iraq, we could give it symbolic sovereignity and it would help it to gain legitimacy, thereby reducing the need for an assertive occupation." (Polish conference, 3 October 2003). I guess there comes a time for all of us when we get to eat dirt, at least if we've dared to say something at all, and it can make you a bit sick too. Can't afford that, where I work. However we just can't keep doing it, we were made to have a good wash, clean up our act, and get on with better things.

Just to emphasize I'm a reasonable man, I'll tell you I've got RSI and in the weekend I put my back out tidying up a bit at home which is painful, so I have to see the physio, just a small taste of being a war cripple, so I will let you guys get on with sorting out the subtleties of how many pre-scientific, scientific and post-scientific dialectics can stand on top of a pin, and I will have a recess. Doctor says I have to get fit. Not fitna. More like, fitja. Naturally I have a lot more to write and comment on, I am not running out of it yet, but okay there's a time and place for everything, otherwise you end up wearing shades for the rest of your days, and who wants to do that in a place like Holland.

I had a good quote by Karel Kosik on the tip of my tongue just now, but the pain was really getting to me, and what it was. They don't quote it on the Internet.

Best to all meantime, and I hope for everyone's sake that peaceful debate will triumph.

Jurriaan

Welcome to your life
Theres no turning back
Even while we sleep