RE: [OPE] Fwd: How to read Capital

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2008 - 14:41:08 EDT

My objection is to the sentence "The production of commodity requires already division of labour, i.e. the separation of labour from the means of production."

The production of commodities requires a division of labour, but a division of labour is not at all the same
as a separation of labour from the means of production.
1) Division of labour predates commodity production
2) Even under commodity production, the producers may remain in control of the means of production.

The separation of labour from the means of production is neither logically nor historically
necessitated by commodity production.

Paul Cockshott
Dept of Computing Science
University of Glasgow