Re: [OPE] Recent serious theoretical discussions: reply to Dogan

From: dogangoecmen@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 04 2008 - 10:09:38 EDT

 Jerry,

you say:

"It's not "nonsense": what Jurriaan is saying above is?, I think, is

an important and valid historical? observation - namely, that bureaucracies

- and all sorts of atrocities - have been rationalized with reference

to the language of 'dialectics'. You say it has been misused."

Jurriaan says:

Thus, this "dialectical
totality" is merely the philosophical justification and rationalization
of bureaucratic power. It is a sad thing when modern Marxists succumb
to the same nonsense - and I say this as someone with a lengthy
experience of bureaucratic absurdities.

These are entirely different statements. People may misuse anything you may think it is safe.
What has the dialectical concept of totality to do with the killings of the "KhymerRouge".

Dialectical concept of totality is an epistemological concept and means to grasp something you have to take it in all its dimensions and relations (external ans internal). What has this concept to do with "bureaucratic absurdities" and masklings?

Dogan