RE: [OPE] Dialectics for the New Century

From: GERALD LEVY (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Sat Apr 05 2008 - 04:35:34 EDT

> Paul, I think you need to be careful with the word 'demonstrated' here. > You can demonstrate logically, i.e. deduce certain consequences, and you > can demonstrate things empirically. They are not the same thing. It does > not matter if the logical demonstration was consistent and elegant, if > it is contradicted by empirical evidence one discards the theory in the > search for a better one.

Dave Z:

I think you need to be careful with the word "discards" here.
If empirical evidence contradicts a theory, then you have to explain
_why_ that is the case before you draw any conclusions about whether
the theory needs to be discarded _or_ modified,  and/or expanded/
enriched, and/or contextualized.