Re: [OPE] Dialectics for the New Century

From: paul bullock (paulbullock@ebms-ltd.co.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2008 - 05:06:05 EDT

Dave,

This dodges the point.
: you say    "a staple of barley or a silver equivalent --- *an equivalence
established by the state*. And the
money of account was primarily used for taxes."  Thereby introducing either
(a) an arbitrary or no explanation of the 'value' of the money used
OR (b) an evasion of the fact that silver was used preceisely for the
reasons that Marx explained: GIVEN that trade existed between towns , albeit
on the edge of and between the different political units.
Once money had begun to penetrate your 'command' societies, then certainly
the rulers could demand taxes in the form of money as well as a direct
proportion of  surplus products. Taxation was indeed the primary form of
surplus appropriation in these societies, in the form ogf products, money
and of course directly by the use of labour. But none of what you say
undermines Marx's arguments, indeed his enthusiasm for studying feudal
society back to early Ottoman property relations never lead him to repudiate
his fundamental discovery. All I see here is the usual 'fetishism' of the
state.

Cheers

paul