Re: [OPE] Dialectics for the New Century -money

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 10:49:38 EDT

paul bullock wrote:
> Early economies were variants of 'natural economies', thus
> storehouses á la Jacob. Certainly, as you say,  the dominant movement
> of goods was as non- commodities, as use values alone. That, in
> principle,  any good might act as a unit of account, depending on the
> key products of the society, we also agree. However a unit of account
> in a slave society is not money in any capitalist sense, nor is it
> money even as  a generally accepted by merchants in the interstices of
> early societies.
I would clarify a couple of points here.

1) the examples from mesopotamia are as I understand it not the slave
mode of production but a variant of the asiatic mode of production.
2) the slave societies of classical antiquity did have money in the
sense in which we have been discussing it, coins which acted as a
measure of value and a medium of exchange. It is arguable that they did
no have 'money in the capitalist sense' if by this you mean transferable
deposits with banks, which are the predominant capitalist form of money.
But this later, specifically capitalist form of money is far removed
from what Marx analyses in, for example, the Critique of Political
Economy (1857).

>  Since as you agree,  several different use values act at different
> times, or simultaneously as  'the' unit of account for the moment * A*
> money has not evolved.  A money evolves insofar as trade in goods
> develops where a use value is *not only a unit of account*, but a
> commonly accepted unit of account that is *also* a* means of exchange*
> AND has the capacity to store 'value'.
 From my reading I am unclear as to whether transferable credit accounts
denominated in barley existed in Babylon, some
articles I read indicate that they did in later periods. If so, what
implications would you draw.
> Even then the value is far from clear since only extensive commodity
> exchange can bring out a common regular social quality in the
> equivalent form, which leads us to observe that human labour is at the
> base of the calculation of equivalence. Money evolves in these
> societies to a very limited degree. It  is not absent, but its
> presence, as I have said several time depends on the producion and
> trade of goods as commodities. It was not simply a case, as you seem
> to want to assert, that money was introduced for the purpose of tax
> collection! Taxes could be collected in money once it had evolved as
> such, but previously it was collected in kind or as labour performed.
I think this really does put the history back to front. Money in the
form of coin emerges as a new way of levying tax. Tax in kind preceeds
this, but what money does is allow the separation of the symbolic
appropriation of the surplus product from the real appropriation of the
surplus product. In a monetary economy the state only symbolically
appropriates a surplus when it levies a tax, since all that the state is
collecting is its own symbolic tokens. The real appropriation of a
surplus occurs when the state uses these symbols to buy real goods or
labour time.

If the Pentagon purchases an aircraft from Boeing, that is  real surplus
appropriation. It disguises the unilateral transfer of value from Boeing
to the Pentagon by issuing Boeing with a draft on the treasury. This
draft can in turn be converted into another symbol system - an account
with the Federal Reserve. The account with the Federal reserve then
acquires purchasing power because the government undertakes to accept
this in settlement of tax debts. Boeing is thus able to aquire
transferable financial instruments with private banks in return for the
Federal deposit. The private banks in turn use these federal deposits to
settle tax debts due by other customers.

 If the symbolic reflux of Federal Reserve deposits falls far short of
the drafts issued by the government, the unit of
account - dollar in this case -- tends to decline in purchasing power as
is happening now. The state is continuing to appropriate
a real surplus, but for reasons of political popularity disguises this
by restricting its symbolic appropriation.

> Where the unit*s* of account for rulers of eg a slave society  exist,
> they don't act as money, there is no free exchange, there is no market.
This is inconsistent with my reading of classical history.
> I certainly don't want to 'back project' modern market relations of
> the administrative procedures of the past, administrative procedures
> backed by pure force, regulation calculated to extract as much surplus
> product as possible, from direct, unmediated, exploitation.
>
> As your comments continue I am not sure whether you are still arguing
> that the ancient 'temple' state introduced money, or whether you are
> indeed waiting for the Greeks, their temples, their slaves  AND their
> boats.
The ancient temple states introduced a universal equivalent, but not
money as we commonly speak of it now, independently existing physical
symbols or tokens - those came with the slave mode of production.