Re: [OPE] Diversity and Unity

From: dogangoecmen@aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 15 2008 - 08:38:16 EDT

 Paul Z,

sorry for the delay. We have only one family computer at home with four people using it. So I cant always be as quick as I like. Your first question I have already answered partly with our computer example. Any tree is member of some sort of a tree family which in turn is as a tree family member of a much larger tree famliy. So if you say "a tree" you relate one tree to the lager family. But if you say an oak tree you relate that tree to its closer family implying that there are many other families making up a lager tree family. In that case oak there refers to unity in relation one oak tree. But oak tree as a particular tree family refers also to diversity in relation to other tree families. The concept employed here to establish families or more properly classes of things is abstraction. The more you abstract the higher you come in establishing new forms of diversities and unities. So if you say nature you are using one of the most abstract and comprehensive categories here. But it relates to society. The most abstract category we use is therefore BEING including everything.

Similarly, DELL signifies unity in relation to individual (particular) Dell computers and to other classes of computers, say, Siemens, but it signifies at the same time diversity in the sense that it is not Siemens computer. If you say computer you establish a unity of all sorts of computer families.
You say the concept of unity is slippery. Fine. Dialectics requires that we think that everything is in motion. From one aspect something may refer to unity, but from another aspect it may refer to diversity. I hope that makes sense.

Dogan