RE: [OPE] Problems in International Political Economy (IPE)

From: GERALD LEVY (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 - 10:01:02 EDT

 > Is this debate of any relevance for contemporary developments and debates and what has Marx to say about this debate?

Hi Dogan:

Following Anwar Shaikh, I think a Marxian perspective on trade
incorporates a theory of absolute advantage.  This does not
necessarily mean, though, that there is no truth whatsoever
to the Ricardian theory of comparative advantage. Just as
there is uneven and combined development of economies
in the world capitalist system, so too there are  both
absolute and comparative advantages that nations have
in terms of the international division of labor.