Re: [OPE] Paul Sweezy & Labour theory.

From: Gerald Levy (glevy@lagcc.cuny.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 - 15:48:04 EDT

The following is a Sweezy’s quotation:
 «It took me a long, long time before I could accept the Marxist labor
value theory because I was totally accustomed to the type of thinking of
marginal utility price theory, and so on. And I couldn’t for a long
time, I couldn’t see how there could be another kind of value theory
with totally different purposes.» (pp. 1)

Hi Alejandro:

I think that's a pretty common experience for those who received
academic
training in economics before they became Marxians.  If Marxians began by
reading Marx (and other Marxians) before studying marginalism, then
they are much less likely to experience this. Sweezy had to overcome his

early indoctrination at Harvard and the LSE.

In solisdarity, Jerry