[OPE] which side are YOU on? by Rebel Diaz

From: GERALD LEVY (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2008 - 10:38:26 EDT

Hi all:

I'm sorry but I haven't been able to get my mind around
to issues in marxian theory in the last few days - since
the verdict in the Sean Bell murder case. If others on the
list don't know, Sean Bell - an unarmed Black man - was
gunned down in a hail of fifty bullets on his wedding day
by the NYPD. The - entirely predictable - verdict by a
'Judge' let his killers walk.

On Friday night I went to Queens and marched from
the Queens DA's office to the site where Bell was murdered.
>From there, we marched to the projects in South Jamaica
where Bell lived picking up demonstrators from the community
as we marched. Members of "Rebel Diaz" were in the march.
Check out their hip-hop cover of the classic song - written in
1931 by Florence Reece in Harlan County, Kentucky when
members of the National Miners Union were on strike. The
lyrics are updated. Sean Bell is mentioned (twice) in the rap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dr05tXktSo

If you know someone who is into hip-hop, you might want
to send the link to her/him. I played it in a couple of my
classes and the students loved it. It certainly has a lot of
content related to political economy (broadly understood)
that you can discuss in the classroom.