Re: [OPE] Jane D'Arista on international Keynesian reformism

From: Patrick Bond (pbond@mail.ngo.za)
Date: Tue May 06 2008 - 14:34:36 EDT

Jurriaan Bendien wrote:
 > Patrick,
 > ...The Left therefore puts forward Keynesian ideology in three main
forms:
 > 1) The critique of "military Keynesianism" - military expenditure is
supposed to boost the economy (Ticktin, Perelman) or drain the economy
(Pollin etc.) or both at the same time.
 > 2) Green corporatist Keynesianism - a populist alliance of
governments with big business which puts workers to work in Green jobs,
paid for by worker's taxes (Susan George, Al Gore etc.).
 > 3) Post-Keynesian economics, in response to the incoherence of
neoclassical economics, rejecting general equilibrium models, revamping
monetary theory, and analysing market uncertainty (SOAS, Edward Nell,
Randall Wray etc.).

I haven't seen Susan George allied with Al Gore!

But beyond Post-Keynesian economics, surely there's also a fourth: the
call for euthanasia of rentiers, i.e., the populist attack on bankers.

And a fifth might be the critique of globalisation in Keynes' 1933 Yale
Review article, shared by the Seattle generation (and me too): "I
sympathize with those who would minimize, rather than with those who
would maximize, economic entanglement among nations. Ideas, knowledge,
science, hospitality, travel - these are the things which should of
their nature be international. But let goods be homespun whenever it is
reasonably and conveniently possible and, above all, let finance be
primarily national." Keynes, J.M. (1933), ‘National Self Sufficiency,’
Yale Review, 22, 4, p.769.

 > The problem with the reformism of the official Left is not so much
that they are reformist per se (nothing wrong with a good social
reform), nor that they are flightily in love with Henryk Grossmann one
moment, and with JM Keynes the next (anyone in a university setting can
be excused for acting as if they are God's teacher, distributing
appropriate literature to different learners). Rather it is that they
are totally confused about the real linkages of particular economic
ideas with particular political power blocs in society, about what the
real relationship is there.

There, I agree entirely. Not because the "left" have got these power
relations wrong but because Keynesian reformers - someone like Tobin, or
pseudo-Keynesians like Sachs - think their policy advice has a chance in
hell of being adopted.

 > Simply put, the Left

Ahem, if you mean the Marxist left, I don't think the next sentence is
true (maybe with the exception of David Harvey's uncharacteristic call
for a New Deal in his book The New Imperialism).

 > doesn't understand what the real connection is between politics and
economics, they are just ideologising. The Left is shut out of the
corridors of real political power, and it is also shut out at the
factory gate and office entrance. What remains are lecture halls, NGO's,
conferences, lobbying and jetsetting. The result of this is
trend-following at various forums, where ideas are proposed which do not
in fact resonate politically with anybody in particular, and do not have
any tangible result for anything other than career advancement. A lot of
brainstorming occurs at gatherings where people bear witness to the
faith, out of which the political class then picks out a few ideas that
are useful for their regime.The activity of leftwing reformism is
needed, because it provides financial policy with a human face, and it
suggests good intentions. But in fact no real progressive reform results
out of it, other than policies which were already going to be
implemented anyway. There seems to be a flurry of activity, but in truth
nothing is really happening.

Agreed. That indeed was the point of the paper I presented: the reforms
from above - which have no chance of being adopted - need a reality
check by assessing real activities of movements from below.