RE: [OPE] Rober Brenner and empiricism

From: david@danyaf.plus.com
Date: Sun May 18 2008 - 09:53:02 EDT

His long article on The Economics of Global Turbulence in New Left Review
229 where he totally ignores the existence of imperialism and financial
capital. His later book simply includes some aspects of imperialist reality
but as an empirical factual addition. He could hardly exclude it given the
criticisms of the New Left Review Article. I suppose you could say his low
profit rates had a Smithian explanation underlying his position - similar
to Glyn and Sutcliffe but without the additional effect of rising wages
squeezing profits. But the world has moved on since then.

David  Yaffe