RE: [OPE] Questioning the Earth’s Value Version 2.0

From: GERALD LEVY (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Tue May 20 2008 - 08:41:48 EDT

> In the context of a global carbon absorption ‘industry’ aligning> economic self-interest with a universal interest in environmental> protection, industriousness means also letting the Earth, in its virgin> state, simply be itself. Such industriousness through letting-be is a> step on the way to humankind practising custodianship of the Earth.

Hi Michael E:

I am reminded of a line from a poem by Christopher Logue:

"Sooner than loose the things he owns
he will destroy the world."

To which Logue's answer is:

"SMASH CAPITAL NOW!"

What makes you think that, given the current political and economic
climate,  nation states and international capital will be able to fuse
self-interest with universal interest in such a manner that humankind
will be able to practice a environmentally safe  "custodianship" of the
Earth?