[OPE] the politics of unequal exchange

From: glevy@pratt.edu
Date: Tue May 27 2008 - 14:25:37 EDT

via Mike L

COUNTERPUNCH
May 24 / 25, 2008

The
Politics of Unequal Exchange
The Buying of "Democracy"
Agents in Cuba
By NELSON P. VALDÉS

"The
populace may hiss me, but when I go home and think of my money, I
applaud myself. "
Horace (c. 25 BC)

"Unequal
exchange, as practiced by the conquerors with the natives
purchasing
gold with mirrors, marbles and European trinkets, must
cease."

Fidel Castro, 1998

In fiscal year 2008-2009 the United
States government has budgeted
$45,000,000 to finance the opposition
against the revolutionary
government
in Cuba. The money is
used to fund rightwing exile organizations,
eastern
European
rightwing politicians involved with Cuba and money oriented
"civil
society" promoters. Some of the money ends up in
Cuba. The details
of such
counterrevolutionary program is
little known by the world. The
Cubans within
the island who
receive the so-called "assistance" claim to be
involved in

promoting "civil society" and "democracy." They
maintain that what
they are
doing is not subversive. The
official line from the United States
government
is that the
money it supplies has a humanitarian intent. The recipients,
however, are agents of a foreign power if we follow US law
definitions. [1]
It is unknown how much money the United States
government is really
spending
to bring an end to the
revolutionary government in Havana. [2]

The videos, photos,
documents and phone conversation logs
transmitted over
the
Mesa Redonda TV program in Havana during three consecutive days (May
19, 20, 21) disclosed some of the mechanisms used to provide money
payments
to dissidents via Marta Beatriz Roque, a sort of
dissident
paymaster/accountant in Havana. She describes herself in
her emails to
rightwing exiles and US officials, as Tia McPato (as
in the Disney
character
- Aunt Scrooge McDuck. )

The money provided to the "dissidents" seem to be mere
peanuts, when
compared to the total amount of money appropriated by
the US Congress.
Indeed, it is obvious, that the
"dissidents" provide the "cover" for the
real
entrepreneurs in Florida to enrich themselves. One can very
well
assume
that if the US AID grants a lump sum of, say, $5 million to a
Miami
"democracy promotion organization" and then the
organization puts
the money
in a bank to get yearly earnings -
the earnings might be sufficient to
finance the
"dissidents". Miami, of course, will keep the lion's
share
of
the grant. And the "grant" [our tax dollars at work]
will be renewed the
following years. Both Republicans and Democrats
in the Congress
approve of a
"foreign aid" that ends
up in Coral Gables and the Florida keys.

In a sense, the
"dissidents" in the island face all the political and
economic costs but receive very little of the financial benefits - when

compared to exile ?donors.? Granted, a monthly payment of $200-1,500
US
dollars is certainly 100 times what the average Cuban earns. Yet,

the island
"dissidents" thank the exile
"donors" abroad when in fact; the exile
entrepreneurs
should be thanking the "dissidents." Or, to put it
differently, the "dissidents" are the proletarians while the
Miami
hustlers
are the bourgeois employers.

The
logic of such political opposition is NOT to be too successful
in
the
REAL recruiting of thousands of political opponents inside Cuba.
do so
would be a major logistical and financial conundrum -
for that
success would
imply much more financial accounting.
Rather, the best strategy is
to CLAIM
a lot of political
proselytizing in order to obtain as much funding from
abroad as
possible.

The Miami promoters/handlers need the
"dissidents" but do not want
them to
get too much of
a claim over the capital available. This is
accomplished by
obtaining invoices for all services rendered. In a sense, this whole
enterprise moves millions of dollars in Florida and elsewhere, but
it comes
to "penny capitalism" in Havana.

Marta Beatriz Roque distributes an average of $200 per
"dissident".
Thus, if
10 "dissidents"=
$200x10=$2000; 100 "dissidents", $20,000 and so
forth. By

playing such a role Marta Beatriz Roque is not a political
"leader" but
rather a financial "accountant."
She knows so and calls herself Tia
MacPato.
How much money she
receives determines how many people she could,
potentially recruit.
Of course, she could increase the monthly
payments of
those
who are already recruited. On the other hand, that some of the
"dissidents" do not seem to get any money payment, perhaps
behaving
on the
basis of ?moral incentives? or not realizing
that everyone gets a
fee for
services rendered.

Interestingly, the money is supplied on a monthly basis rather than as a

lump sum. Tia McPato would like to get lump sums - that would
provide her
with discretionary power. But it will reduce the
political influence
that
Miami would have over Havana. The one
with the money commands. Thus,
payments are done on a monthly basis
- although this is a cumbersome
logistical mechanism. But it is
revealing what the method accomplishes:

1. It reminds the
recipient of the funds who is the boss - that is
Santiago
Alvarez. 2. It makes the recipients financially dependent on a monthly

basis, which is a form of control: you don?t deliver political acts,
you
don?t get paid. This is measured on the basis of the foreign
press
reporting
on the actions. 3. The monthly payments,
delivered by Marta Beatriz,
is a
form of political control.
The money payments is a tool of political
recruitment and a form of
retainer, from month to month. 4. The monthly
payments allow the
people with the capital in Florida (who received the
money from the
US government and other undisclosed sources) to set up an
account
that earns interests. Thus, if AID supplies the "non profit"
organization in Miami with the capital, then the money is put in an
interest
earning account.

The relationship between the
Miami promoters/bourgeoisie and the Havana
"dissident"/proletarians is a very unique exchange. Miami has

US-government
supplied financial capital; Havana
"dissidents" claim to have political
capital. The latter
is seemingly correlated with time served in a Cuban
prison or openly
challenging the Cuban authorities; both generate more
political
capital in the eyes of the Miami and Washington DC
promoters of
long-distance "democracy". Those who have been arrested or
answer to the
behest of the US Interest Section have a higher
exchange value than
those
who do not. Moreover, those who
served some prison time but do not
continue
their day to day
"demonstration politics" then do not get pay as much as
those who do. Tia McPato who is the money distributor among the
"dissidents"
claims the political leadership over the
proletarians.

In such a relationship, it becomes imperative
for the proletarians
to try to
extort as much from the
employers abroad. This requires that the
actions of
the
"dissidents" be covered by the foreign press. ["If a tree
falls in a
forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a
sound?"] In other
words, political "show and tell" is
the very stuff of such
"demonstration
politics". No
TV time or press headlines, no pay. It is imperative,
then, to
cultivate the foreign media stationed in Havana. The foreign media
plays the
part of the stock analyst who keeps the market ratings
on
"dissidence" high.
Seemingly, the correspondents'
job is to tout the market value of the
"dissidents" whose
stock would be worthless if their real value were
exposed.

The Cuban government has challenged the US government, the foreign media

stationed in Cuba, or the island's "dissidents" to answer
head-on the
evidence that has been disclosed and the substantive
charges. It is
doubtful
that any of the players will do so.
Meanwhile the commercial enterprise
called "democracy
promotion" will continue.

Perhaps the promotion of
democracy should begin with exporting to
Cuba some
legislation
from the United States. I propose that our country
persuade the
government in Havana to adopt from the US Code 18 U.S.C.A. § 953

[1948] -
better known as the Logan Act.

The Act
reads in part, "Any citizen of the United States, wherever
he
may
be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or
indirectly
commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse
with any
foreign
government or any officer or agent thereof,
with intent to influence the
measures or conduct of any foreign
government or of any officer or agent
thereof, in relation to any
disputes or controversies with the United
States, or to defeat the
measures of the United States, shall be
fined under
this title
or imprisoned not more than three years, or both." [3]
All that

would be necessary is for the Cuban government to replace the phrase

"United
States" and include "Republic of
Cuba."

Now, that might be an interesting way of
furthering democracy.

Nelson P. Valdés is a Professor
of Sociology at the University of New
Mexico.

This essay
was originally published by Cuba-L Analysis.

Notes

[1] See the essay by Salim Lamrani: 05/07/08 - Rebelión (Madrid)
- Las
contradicciones de Amnistia Internacional.

[2]
There is a concurrent effort, also financed by the United States
government, to prepare the "transition teams" that will be
sent once the
Cuban revolutionary regime is overthrown. Just on May
8th, 2008 AID
requested proposals to the tune of $30 million from
five US
corporations who
have been involved in such
"transitions" elsewhere. Source: AID
email, May
8,
2008 entitled: COMPETITIVE TASK ORDER SOLICITATION IN SUPPORT OF
THE
CUBA
DEMOCRACY AND CONTINGENCY PLANNING PROGRAM (CDCPP).

[3] See: U.S. Code, Title 19, Part I, Chapter 45, § 953