[OPE] Intellectual property rights (reply to Michael Perelman)

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@tiscali.nl)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2008 - 12:47:16 EDT

With the life experience I was lucky to have, and provided I take reasonable care and study hard, I can keep creating new ideas until I die. So if people steal my idea, I can just create another one, and so all the "thieves" (if there are any) are really saying is that they cannot think of anything themselves.

The real importance of intellectual property rights is really that the inventor of the idea retains some control over whether the idea is used in the spirit in which he intended it - the great disappointment he has is the abuse of his idea -, but this is to a large extent illusory as well - think of how Marxism mangled, vulgarized and deformed what Marx intended, or how the catholic church screwed Jesus Christ up the arse with its witchhunts, crusades, inquisitions, childmolesting priests etc.

I ought to read more of your books because I am still puzzled by the whole concept of "productivity" in all its facets. The problem you see is that Kuznets wrote in the 1930s-1960s but this is the 21st century and we badly need new concepts.

Jurriaan