SV: [OPE] Sweden's new surveillance law

From: Martin Kragh (Martin.Kragh@hhs.se)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2008 - 13:51:01 EDT

Thanks for your note Jerry. What's especially interesting is how residents in completely different countries will be affected by the new Swedish legislation, should it pass through parliament. As I mentioned in the previous note, the surveillance covers all communication passing Swedish borders. This means that a Chinese mail passing through a Swedish server, or any other way around, will be going through the "fishing net" (term used by the FRA). The surveillance institute - FRA - has openly acknowledged its cooperation with foreign intelligence, but not even the government knows exactly what this really means (is it a lot? A little? No one can say).

In reality, thus, only a few countries would actually need this form of surveillance, and any e-mail anywhere in the world will be subjected to it. A pretty safe bet is that many countries will opt to on the one hand publicly criticize this form of surveillance, but on the other hand take advantage of sharing intelligence with countries that do have it.

Kind regards
Martin