RE: SV: [OPE] Swedish surveillance law passed

From: GERALD LEVY (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2008 - 08:37:58 EDT

> This law is meant to curb men with big beards, Russian oligarchs
> and Stalinists. And occasionally, employees at IKEA in Russia, as
> was recently leaked by employees at the FRA.

Hi Martin;

The danger of a law such as this is that despite the fact that
it might have been passed thinking of a particular target (the
'Russians'), it can be extended to target just about any other
group that the state wishes. There are many historical examples
of how legislation which was intended to be used for one purpose
has been extended for other purposes.

I am reminded of a poem by Martin Niemoller. To paraphrase:
"In Sweden, first they came for the Russians. And I didn't
speak up because I wasn't a Russian".  You know how that
poem ends.